Nav Bar


     photo 1_zpsqty5s2fi.png  photo 2_zpsfpptwkbj.png  photo 3_zpstd4lsary.png  photo 4_zpszbwoi1gq.png  photo 5_zpsrsjd8a4g.png

Friday, December 2, 2016

No One Does It All

Every once in a while I'm talking with someone and they mention how they don't know how I "do it all". And then I laugh in their face. And then I apologize for laughing in their face. And then I assure them that I don't do it all. Not even close.

It's easy to look at someone's successes, home, children, relationships, lifestyle... and compare it to your shortcomings. I know, because I do this too. Especially on Instagram. People on Instagram look like they have it all together... like, how do you find all these white walls and perfectly arranged greenery?!?! (I obviously have a high standard for perfection.) 

Here's the thing. We're all good at something. Some people can smell out those white walls like it's a double decker juicy lucy cheeseburger, and some of us are really funny. (Guess which one I am...) Some of us have beautifully decorated, sparkly clean homes, and some of us are really good at baking. Some of us are really good at doing crafts with our kids and some of us can put an outfit together like Rachel Zoe. 

And here's what happens. The Rachel Zoe-esque fashionista mom sees the Martha Stewart-esque crafty mom post her third kid-craft of the day and she wishes she was a better mom while the crafty mom sees an amazing outfit without any trace of spit-up and wishes she wishes she could look like that. They both dig a little further and find out that not only does fashionista mom have an incredible closet, but she has perfectly dressed twin 3 year olds, a 4 month old, and a flat stomach. A flat stomach. And that crafty mom isn't only super talented and selfless with her time, but she home cooks every meal from scratch, From scratch, 

All the sudden, fashionista mom thinks crafty mom can do it all and crafty mom thinks that fashionista mom can do it all. And they both feel like they're letting their families down because they're not like the other mom. 

You know what fashionista mom doesn't consider? That crafty mom can craft because she lives in her pjs. You know what crafty mom doesn't consider? That fashionista mom can put together outfits like that because she's not crafting with her kids all day. 

Neither one are doing it all. They're just doing what the other isn't. 


I usually get asked how I "do it all" by moms who clean their homes all day long, dress their kids even if they don't leave the house and would never think of feeding their family popcorn for dinner. They don't know that unless I'm going somewhere that day I drop my daughter off for school in my pajamas and bare feet... and pick her up the same way. They don't see that my kids will either be in pajamas or dress up clothes at home (unless they slept in the clothes they were wearing the day before). They don't see that the pile of dishes in my sink won't get done until 10 minutes before my husband arrives home from work. They don't consider that I do what I do because I don't do what they do!

So, stop comparing yourself to someone else, and start boldly being YOU! Know that God made you how you are for a reason. Know that to Him, you're doing it all when you're doing what He has for you!!! Proudly be YOU, and praise God that in your weaknesses He is strong!!!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Sarah, Such words of wisdom! We always compare our "worst" qualities with others "best" qualities.

I so wish I had that wisdom at your age and stage of life! Thank you for TRUTH!

Unknown said...

LOVE, LOVE, ❤️ this!!!! You are so raw and real Sarah!!! You have such a beautiful heart and been given an amazing gift in sharing what is real, in real time, with real words that speak to the heart!! So many days I feel "less than" and then I read something like this and I can remember that in Christ Jesus I am "more than"...thanks for helping us to keep it real!!!