Nav Bar


     photo 1_zpsqty5s2fi.png  photo 2_zpsfpptwkbj.png  photo 3_zpstd4lsary.png  photo 4_zpszbwoi1gq.png  photo 5_zpsrsjd8a4g.png

Monday, January 9, 2012

Strength for Today, and Bright Hope for Tomorrow

I was a part of a ladies conference this weekend called Empower 2012: Treasured.  I would LOVE to write a post all about it, but I have no pictures from the event.  Since planning for this event consumed my life for the better part of the last few weeks, a post will be coming... just not until I can get some pictures from a beautiful pregnant friend of mine named Ria :)  Or anyone else who will post some to facebook... I don't discriminate, I just need pictures!

The title to this post is from an old hymn, Great is Thy Faithfulness.  I've sang this song so many times, but this weekend during the conference the phrase "Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" really stood out to me.  

Since my last blog post at the end of October a few things have changed in my life.  Things like my kids growing bigger, smarter, cuter... my husband's return date coming sooner... and my longing for 80 degrees and sunshine becoming stronger have been the usual, expected changes.

But then there were a few unexpected changes as well.  You've probably had some too... you know, the ones you don't plan for.  The ones you don't see coming.  At the top of my list of unexpected changes is the announcement that my Pastor of 16 years was going to be leaving his role as our pastor to go be the "Executive Director of International Ministries" for Converge Worldwide.  

I was beyond shocked when I heard the news.  I mean, talk about unexpected change!  Pastor Ivan has been my only pastor, ever!  I grew up being best friends with his daughter, he was practically my second dad for a big portion of my life.  I never saw this coming... and neither did he.

As a person who likes change, I can see that this is super exciting for both our church and Ivan and his family.  I know that God has a plan for his ministry as a big-shot director, and I know that God has a plan for my church, Edinbrook. 

That hardly makes it any easier to say goodbye.

Today was Ivan's last day as our pastor. As we commissioned him to his new position, from the Pastor of our Edinbrook to the Director of International Ministries I remembered that we are given strength for today, and a bright hope for tomorrow.


For Edinbrook, we have strength in this time of uncertainty, and hope that our God who started a good work in our church will be faithful to complete it. (Philippians 1:6) 

Today God offers strength 
  • in the often tiring and tedious job you have as a parent
  • while you pray for your friend/child/parent/sibling that is far from God
  • while you are getting through the work day at a job that you only have to pay the bills
  • as you wait for a resume to catch an employer's eye
  • in the pain and hardship of this life
And the bright hope that
Will you allow His strength to work in your life today and trust Him for a better tomorrow? God is to be trusted!  His word never fails!

I want to end this blog post with a short video. Shane, is the 17 year old son of my pastor who will be leaving his friends, school, band, and church behind to follow his parents in this ministry.  He wrote a short song with a clear, simple message that I am thankful to be reminded of.


4 comments:

Breann Hays said...

look at you blogging again :) this was a really good one

Steph said...

Wow Sarah. Wow. Amazing post my friend! Amazing.

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

SO GOOD SARAH! Photos are posted :) I put some on my blog... just cell phone pics, but Carissa also posted the photobooth ones. I will work on the others eventually ;)

Loved this post and ALL that God is doing. WOW!

Darlene said...

Thank you Sarah this is a wonderful message of hope and encouragement so perfect for such a time as this.